May 17, 2011

That's What Friends Are For

A few days ago a friend and I were talking about losing our professional jobs. Along with job loss, my friend has also experienced other life transitions, including marriage,  moving away from close friends, and looking for a job in her profession. As she looked for a new job, she became depressed as her search went on for a long time without any positive results. Who wouldn't be depressed? When I asked her how she got through this trying time she said a job support group, exploring a career change and, most of all, her friends. She talked to her old friends, miles away, on a regular basis. They were supportive and encouraging.

As I reflected on her story, I thought of  "That's What Friends Are For,"  sung by Burt Bacarach and Dionne Warwick:

Keep smiling, keep shining,
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
In good times, in bad times,
I'll be on your side forevermore, that's
What friends are for.

Writers: Burt Bacharach and Carol Bayer Sanger. Lyrics@Warner/Chappell
My favorite performance is by Dionne Warwick, Gladys Knight, Elton John, and Stevie Wonder.
You can find it on http://www.youtube.com/ , search That's What Friends Are For.

No comments:

Post a Comment