June 23, 2011

CrossRoads - Oprah, Lady Gaga And Your Job Interview

CrossRoads - Oprah, Lady Gaga And Your Job Interview

In her article, "Oprah, Lady Gaga, and Your Job Interview," Carole Martin give 5 tips for encouraging optimism and discouraging negativity. The article begins with the personal philosophies of Oprah and Lady Gaga, two very powerful, yet totally different in their work.

Oprah says:  "Accept yourself for who you are and believe that you can do what you want to do-- live your Best Life."

Lady Gaga:   "Believe in Yourself-- and be yourself."

When I was invited for an interview for my first job after graduate school, my dissertation director gave me this advice: "Be yourself. They already know how your mind works. They want to see if they can live with you." This has been my guiding principle when applying for jobs. To be yourself is about authenticity. One of the most gratifying compliments I received from a student was that I am authentic.

Of the five tips Carole Martin offers, her third tip, "Work on controlling stress" is especially important when one is looking for a job. She writes:

                               Stress becomes a problem when it begins to affect
                               your lifestyle and health. Are you waking up in the
                               middle of the night or skipping meals because you
                               are feeling down or upset? You may need to talk to
                               someone who is a professional to get some advice about
                               relaxation techniques. (emphasis mine)

My suggestions: Search the Internet for information on relaxation techniques. I've found that just leaving my desk and going for a walk helps to reduce my stress. My other stress busters include listening to jazz and classical music, dancing, knitting, and laughing, usually at something funny my spouse has said. Speaking of laughter, I highly commend to you Tracey Ullman, an English comedienne. She had her own TV show a few years ago, some of which I taped. Maybe you can track down a video from the public library, Amazon.com., or other resources. She's worth the search!


No comments:

Post a Comment