June 23, 2011

CrossRoads - Working for a Staffing Agency

CrossRoads - Working for a Staffing Agency

I found this article quite informative and helpful. MaryAnn Raashm, Milwaukee District Leader for SEEK Careers and Staffing offers several tips about getting a job from a staffing agency. Here are a few excerpts:

"The key to getting a great position through a staffing agency is this: Treat the agency as if they were a "real" employer -- because they are...If they (job seeker) don't listen to instructions, or they dress in a sloppy way, or continually hound us, it reflects poorly on them as a candidate."

One of the most important tips, she says, is to write a hand-written than you note to the employer:

"I can count on one hand the number of personalized thank you notes I've received. Those people really stand out in my mind-- and when you realize we can be in contact with 100 people a day-- that's a big advantage. I don't care if you go out to your car and write the note and bring it in and leave it at the front desk...it makes a difference." (emphasis mine).

I was given the same advice when I applied for an academic position a few years ago. I stressed to the career counselor that writing thank you notes was not the practice in academia. Eventually, I became convinced that this was a good thing. And so I did it.

I like writing and receiving hand-written correspondence and do so when I have the opportunity. Electronic communication just doesn't cut it.

My personal tip: Invest in a box of ecru- colored note cards, preferably Crane, which is sold at Papyrus and other high end card stores. The price is reasonable. An alternative is Paper Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment